Opinion

‘We do not want you anymore:’ Sixties Scoop survivor still searching for home

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

12 Comments
  • Sandra J Miller says:

Thank you for sharing your truth. I wish you the best in the coming years. You deserve it.

• Sara Shea says:

Christine, your story demonstrates that you have incredible strength and power within you. Thank you for having the courage to record your story, and thank you for your willingness to share it. Canadians have a shameful history with our First Nations people. As a Canadian, I am deeply sorry for the painful and abusive treatment you, and millions of other indigenous peoples have endured, and continue to endure. You, Christine, have risen above tremendous adversity and barriers in order to accomplish your goals. Canadians need to rise above our prejudice and racism to accomplish the goal of becoming a nation that celebrates and champions our First Nations People, in a manner they so rightly deserve. I am sorry for your many losses. Your name, Red Wind Woman, is apt: you are using your voice, carried in the wind, to bring your profoundly moving story to others. Thank you.

• Wendy Winslow says:

Please write a book about yourself, about your life ! I, too, was very young in the sixties and I knew NOTHING of what was going on or of residential schools, etc. The story of your life in detail would be FASCINATING. I’m so, so sorry for all the wrongs you’ve suffered. I sincerely hope that, as a nation and as people, Canada is improving for you.
    I wish you all the good luck and blessings in the world !

• K says:

Thank you for sharing your story. I’m so sorry for all the awful things that happened to you. I prayed for you.

• Linda LeFort says:

Sending words of encouragement to you Christine. Keep on sharing and healing as your life and survival and blossoming is an inspiration to others that have suffered within this genocide driven system. I am a Mohawk woman from Tyendinaga Mohawk territory who has worked in child welfare in both BC and Ontario . I know the Child Welfare system is horrendous and continues and we now have more indigenous kids in care than in the 60’s scoop.

• Michael Cheena says:

The impacts of the 60’s Scoop and residential school system has inflicted gross injustices on generations of Indigenous children.

• Carol White says:

Christine is an outstanding writer.

• Valerie says:

Such a sad and powerful story. I am
    So happy you are rising above the horrors of being taken from your biological mom and being abused and abandoned by your adoptive parents. Look at how much you’ve accomplished! You’re a great writer and more need to read your story. Sending love.

• Jeffrey Clayton says:

This is very painful to read. I’m so sorry- for Canada’s racism, for our disgusting foster care system, for all of it. Thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations on kicking ass at school.

• Muriel says:

Christine,
      Thank you so much for sharing your painful story. It is also inspiring because look at what you have accomplished even in the face of all the obstacles and hardships you have had to endure in life. You may not get that apology but you know what? You dont need them and never did. It’ll be the Universe to decide how they’ll pay back their karma for what they did to you and you get to carry on with your life holding your shared memories with your mother and family that you for to meet!! I loved reading this and look forward to reading more of your pieces.
      Miigwetch

• Lawlor William Lee says:

Heartbreaking in the extreme. My wife and I the parents (adoptive) of an Anishnawbe son (now 49). We had our struggles but, partly because we were able to reach out to the Indigenous communities, particularly in Toronto, and received support and mentoring, we all had a very positive experience. So, of course I’m horrified by the treatment that Christine experienced in her adoptive home. It would be nice if I could say that her experience was totally out of the ordinary but my wife and I know it is not. We learned, after he managed to connect with his siblings, our son’s older sister was adopted by one can only describe as the “family” from hell. Also, because of my work in and with Indigenous communities I have met some young people who have been quite badly treated. Not all interracial adoptions have the experience of Christine but there are way too many.

• Susan Greenfield says:

Thank you for sharing your story. You have lived an incredibly challenging life and I am inspired by your resilience

Author

Christine Miskonoodinkwe Smith is a Saulteaux woman from Peguis First Nation. She is an emerging writer, graduated from the University of Toronto with a specialization in Aboriginal Studies in June 2011, and graduated with a Master in Education in Social Justice in June 2017. She has written for the Native Canadian, Anishinabek News, Windspeaker, FNH Magazine, New Tribe Magazine and the Piker Press.