Concussion treatment changes course: rest isn’t best

The comments section is closed.

  • Sharon says:

    I had a concussion and multiple injuries over 18 months ago and it took months to get diagnosed. Concussion can affect your neuroendocrine system and therefore your hormones. I was fortunate enough to find a naturopath to tested me and my cortisol levels were below range. I have been getting weekly IV treatments and daily hyperbaric chamber sessions and it seems to be working.

  • Kveta Kaplan says:

    And how do we find the specialist, I have all the symptoms one year later after a car accident. I am trying to regain balance by atternding physio but it is very slow improvement

    • Drew Laskoski says:

      Has anyone attempted to correct your c1 vertebrae? If it is not in the correct position it affects the blood flow to your brain as well as causes your sub-occipital muscles to stay in spasm

    • Kerri says:

      I’m afraid there is a good chance you will need to do some leg work unless the author has some resources. Here are some ideas that might bear fruit in the mean time:
      1) ask GP for a referral to someone or a local clinic which specializes in concussions
      2) see if your local hospitals have conducted concussion studies and ask for referrals to the doctors there. They may have a concussion clinic. Some universities which teach medical professionals (UofT or McMaster in the GTA may also have clinics and studies for concussions)
      3) Look on pubmed or the national library of medicine for studies related to concussions and the city you live in or one that you could travel to. You can find that doctor’s current practice location on the college of physicians relevant to yourstate/province (google their webpage) and you can call their current practice to enquire as to whether they are taking patients.
      4) You may have a local association dedicated to concussions and fellow sufferers may be able to advise you as to where they went and whom they found helpful.
      5) Occupational therapists may be able to work with your physio to help you heal faster or offer different perspectives on which rehabilitation techniques are appropriate for your present state. Many of them specialize in areas such as stroke, MVA, cognitive/memory issues (including learning disabilities), and post surgical rehabilitation and some of them do in call home visits that may be arranged through a hospital or public health.

      Good luck. If you have difficulty with headaches and concentration I would go straight to #4, as the association itself may be able to help you locate the resources.


Paul Taylor


Paul Taylor is a health journalist and former Patient Navigation Advisor at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, where he provided advice and answered questions from patients and their families. Paul will continue to write occasional columns for Healthy Debate.

Republish this article

Republish this article on your website under the creative commons licence.

Learn more